Training & Advocacy
Education is a big part of the training and advocacy work I do. I use my skills and qualifications in marketing and communications to educate as many people as possible on issues that are important to me.
Some examples of my advocacy work include:
- LGBTIQ+ Health Australia – Health in Difference Conference Key Note Speech – 2021
- Interview with Geoff Hutchison for the National ‘Your Mental Health’ initiative
- The National LGBTI Health Alliance MindOUT Webinar: Affirmative Practice During COVID-19
Civil rights activist Audre Lorde once said, “there is no thing as a single-issue struggle because we do not live single-issue lives.” Therefore, I cannot advocate for LGBTIQA+ issues without also advocating for other groups including (but not limited to) Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with disability, people of colour (POC) and people experiencing mental illness. As a white, non-disabled person, I acknowledge that I am often not the best person to speak on certain topics, and therefore use my privilege to elevate the voices of others.
I currently work in the following roles:
- Equity Projects Officer at Edith Cowan University, Bronze Employer with Pride in Diversity’s Australian Workplace Equality Index (AWEI), working on a range of equity initiatives
- Training Facilitator at Living Proud, an LGBTI organisation that provides support, education and resources throughout WA; the longest running organisation of its kind in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Trans and Gender Diverse Advisory Committee Member at LGBTIQ+ Health Australia – Peak health organisation that provides health programs, services and research focused on LGBTIQ+ people and communities
- Peer Volunteer at TransFolk of WA, Western Australia’s first and only trans and gender diverse (TGD) peer support service
Previous roles I’ve held include:
- LGBTI Lead at Richmond Wellbeing – a mental health and recovery organisation, Western Australia’s first Rainbow Tick Accredited
- Telephone Counsellor at QLife – Australia’s free LGBTI peer support and referral service
- Community Education Project Coordinator at Lifeline WA – Mental health, suicide prevention and intervention, domestic and family violence (DFV)
- Communications Coordinator at Lifeline WA – Suicide prevention and intervention
- Project Support Officer at Lifeline WA – Suicide prevention and intervention
- Board Member at TransFolk of WA – Western Australian TGD peer support service
- Volunteer Peer Facilitator at Freedom Centre – LGBTIQA+ youth centre
- Online Forum Moderator at ReachOut Australia – Youth mental health organisation
- Publicity Director and Board Member at Curtin Volunteers! – Volunteer hub